Internet privacy

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ab.ca
Thu Oct 2 20:50:33 UTC 2003

On Thursday, October 2, 2003 1:22 PM -0700 Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com>
wrote:

> Because you don't need a domain name to live on the Ineternet.  If you
> choose
> to have a domain name, then, it's akin to hanging out your own shingle.
> If you hang out a shingle, you have an obligation to provide a certain
> amount
> of contact information as a matter of public record.

As a company director and officer I do not have to make my home address
and telephone number available. I don't even have to make the company's
office address or telephone number public. But I do have to provide an
"office of record" where the company (or its officers and directors) can
be served legal notice. Typically this is the address of the company's
lawyer.

There's no reason why domain registrations should be any different. I can
think of many good reasons for someone not wanting their home address and
telephone number listed in the domain contact info. (For starters, think
spousal abuse. Your policy would prevent a woman hiding from an abusive
spouse from registering a .name domain.)

HOWEVER, there does need to be *some* form of valid contact information
provided. Registrars might want to consider offering a point-of-contact
intermediary service as a "value added" product.

--lyndon