NTP, possible solutions, and best implementation

Vachon, Scott Scott.Vachon at paymentech.com
Thu Oct 2 20:19:07 UTC 2003

just me wrote:

> - Antenna failure
> - Radio failure
> - Unforseen GPS protocol issues

Except that as I read it, "all your clocks" meant more than one NTP server at more than one location. I'd guess the probability of complete failure is much lower in that case. Further, Cisco at least, recommends using at least 3 NTP sources to help maintain sanity on the equipment using the NTP. The bug you reference by the way, is on a page dated from 1999. I'm not sure of the relevancy now.
Does anyone on the NANOG list actually deploy standalone equipment ???

My two cents.

~S~

Learn more about Paymentech's payment processing services at www.paymentech.com
THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail message and any attachments are proprietary and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not print, distribute, or copy this message or any attachments.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your computer.