Internet privacy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 2 20:22:12 UTC 2003

--On Thursday, October 2, 2003 12:08 PM -0400 Jeffrey Meltzer
<jeffrey at icsnet.com> wrote:

> Not to start a war, but you can block your Telephone Number from being
> listed in the phone book, so why shouldn't you be able to block your whois
> info?

Because you don't need a domain name to live on the Ineternet.  If you
choose
to have a domain name, then, it's akin to hanging out your own shingle.
If you hang out a shingle, you have an obligation to provide a certain
amount
of contact information as a matter of public record.

Noone is saying you should have to give up your contact information to
posess a single /32 IP address, or, even a small collection of them.
However, domain names are a different thing from phone numbers.  Domain
names are the ability to operate your own phone book.  Certainly I have
never heard of a phone book publisher that didn't provide contact
information
for redressing errors/etc.

> What valid reason would you have for getting in contact with a domain
> owner, if they've unlisted themselves and don't want to be contacted?

What valid reason is there for allowing a domain owner to be unlisted and
uncontactable.  If you want to remain anonymous, then you don't need a
domain.

Owen