New AS block allocated to the RIPE NCC

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Oct 2 09:38:03 UTC 2003

>>The RIPE NCC received the AS Number block 30720 - 3174
>>from the IANA in September 2003.

>I made a typo in my last message. The AS block is in fact 30720 - 31740.

A good example of why we need to stop announcing
these allocations by ad-hoc email techniques
and force IANA to operate an authoritative
whois directory that identifies the current
status of all AS number blocks and the entire
IPv4 and IPv6 address spaces.

Whether this is done with LDAP or DNS hacks
or a simple machine parseable CSV file
via HTTP is irrelevant. The fact is that we
need a definitive and authoritative and
machine-parseable source for this information.

--Michael Dillon