Above.net problems ??

Arjan Hulsebos ahulsebos at corp.home.nl
Wed Nov 26 17:57:00 UTC 2003

> Is there any relationship between this "europeanwide"
> above.net failure and the huge amount of
> DNS requests to lockup.zonelabs.com which failed that every
> ISP (at least in France) seem to
> have encountered last night ?
> The zonelabs.com zone is hosted on Above.net NS servers.

The Netherlands were hit as well. We saw a massive flood of queries for
lockup.zonelabs.com, too. It performed a nice DoS on our client name
servers.... :-(

You'd think that an unresponsive nameserver would be flagged dead, and such
information be cached. Does anyone know whether that's actually done in Bind
8.3.4? Or perhaps not by default?

Cheers,

Arjan H

Not even a clue-by-four would work with this clown.
dr. Arjan Hulsebos
Security Engineer
Essent Kabelcom, @Home Benelux department
1042 AX Amsterdam