[Activity logging & archiving tool]

joshua sahala joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Tue Nov 25 19:44:45 UTC 2003

"Priyantha" <priyantha at wightman.ca> wrote:

> In my company, there are several technical guys make changes to the
> existing network and  it's very difficult to keep track of what we did
> when, etc.

i feel your pain - except when it was happening, they weren't as
technical as they thought they were...

> I'm looking for a simple tool, in which each and every one has to
> manually record whatever (s)he has done or any incident (s)he observed
> so that the tool archives that data someway. Later, in case if someone
> needs, (s)he should be able to search for that archive by date, by
> person, by a random phrase, etc.

rancid (http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid) and
cvs-web (http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~zeller/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/)

rancid does nice proactive checking of device configs, and cvs-web is
a pretty front end to look through change history

for tracking:
request tracker (http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/) - it is a ticketing
system, but you could probably customize it to fit your needs

netoffice (http://sourceforge.net/projects/netoffice/) - haven't used
it personally, but it looks like it might work too

track+ (http://sourceforge.net/projects/trackplus/) - same as netoffice

of course, nothing will work unless everyone uses it, so you have to
have clear, concise policies for change management, and then enforce
them.

hth

/joshua

> Any help in this regard is appreciated,
>
> Priyantha Pushpa Kumara
> ---------------------------------------
> Manager - Data Services
> Wightman Internet Ltd.
> Clifford, ON
> N0G 1M0
> Fax: 519-327-8010

"Walk with me through the Universe,
 And along the way see how all of us are Connected.
 Feast the eyes of your Soul,
 On the Love that abounds.
 In all places at once, seemingly endless,
 Like your own existence."
     - Stephen Hawking -