Open source traffic shaper experiences? (was Re: looking for a review of traffic shapers)

andrew at vivalibre.com andrew at vivalibre.com
Tue Nov 25 17:38:01 UTC 2003

Note: delurk.

Some of the commercial traffic shaping devices reviewed here are tens of
thousands of dollars.  For a smaller ISP (i.e. less than a DS3 of
aggregate upstream bandwidth), that kind of expense doesn't make sense--
but the need to control bandwidth consumption is still an issue.

For example, I work at an ISP in Central America where bandwidth costs are
quite high.  A 2Mbps dedicated link typically sells for over $4,000 per
month.  One can imagine how important it is to be able to throttle the
top P2P talkers in this kind of environment.

Is anyone on the NANOG list aware of a disk-less Linux solution? One might
imagine a Knoppix-like bootable CD image (perhaps CD-RW, so config files
could be updated) that would turn an inexpensive Linux box into an
effective traffic shaping device, using tools like CBQinit, MRTG/RRDTOOL,
and a Webmin-like admin interface. The closest thing to this I've seen is
ETINC's BWMGR, but that's a closed-source solution and is still somewhat
expensive.

-Andrew White