Anit-Virus help for all of us??????

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Tue Nov 25 08:42:22 UTC 2003

On 24.11 18:20, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Brian Bruns wrote:
> >
> > One thing that many people don't realize (from my personal experience) is
> > that contrary to popular belief, Win98SE is a good all around desktop OS to
> > use.  It can run most things like productivity apps and games, and with
> > 128-256MB of RAM, its quite fast even on an old laptop like mine.  Unlike
> > XP, it doesn't have a million services running, nor does it have the nasty
> > UPnP stuff from WinME.

I agree wholeheartedly.

if haveto(M$)
	use(W98SE);

I recommend that at home to all local primary schools.  They often do
not have the latest hardware but some of them even run it on the latest
hardware now.  This and frequent reloads of standard clean disk images
tends to keep things clean and operational.  The image loads from a *nix
server are routinely done by 10-year-olds.  Unfortunately this is not a
really long term strategy.  I expect apps that are essential to the
schools but do not run on W98SE in the not-too-distant future.
I guess they will have to find loads of money and buy macs then. ;-)

Daniel