Anit-Virus help for all of us??????

Alexei Roudnev alex at relcom.net
Tue Nov 25 06:17:16 UTC 2003

In reality, PAT provides 99.99% of all firewall protection, so if some _very
smart whitehat gay_ is writing _PNAT is not a firewall_, this means only,
that he is very far from reality. Show me, please, any attack, addressed to
the PNAT based system? PNAT is not enioough for a firewall to be a full
featured firewall - it is true; but PNAT provides the same protection, as
any firewall (it just do not allow inbound connections, so you can not
expose any service).

1 - 1 NAT, of course, do not provide any protection. But the _MOST_
important part of all enterprise firewalls (I mean  -not most complex, but
those which protects 99.99% of their users) is just PNAT.

Of course, it is true _untl_ we are talking only about _direct_ network
level attacks. What many people missed is that, in _real_ word,
network level firewalls is not enough for the protection, if you use
_standard_ software, you are exposed to worms, viruses and other,
application level, dangers (and firewalls can not help here too much).

Of course, PNAT applianses created  a very strange protocol meaning - if
protocl can not work thru PNAT, it 'is not a protocol' - you can not use it
in many cases... And, on the other hand, the better is  protocol security,
the worst is this protocol for PNAT - in reality, secure protocol can not be
multi-connection one /as FTP or H.323/.