Anit-Virus help for all of us??????

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at outblaze.com
Mon Nov 24 21:25:36 UTC 2003

Gerardo Gregory  writes on 11/24/2003 4:20 PM:

> NAT is not a security feature, neither does it provide any real
> security, just one to one translations.  PAT fall into the same

It is not a cure all and I never said it was one.  It cuts the risk down
a little, is all.

> Most broadband providers still perform a NAT translation downstream, is
> it helping alleviate any of the attacks/compromises?  NOT!!!!!

A lot of it is because of infected hosts in a subnet searching around
for open windows shares on IPs around it.

> I know Microsoft has a product that allows you to donwload patches to a
> centralized server (within your infrastructure) and let's you patch your
> internal systems from it.  Heard our MS admins talking about it a while
> back....

Sounds like a good thing to have around.

--
srs (postmaster|suresh)@outblaze.com // gpg : EDEDEFB9
manager, outblaze.com security and antispam operations