[nsp] Re: Per VLAN Stats on MSFC2 - Complaints from the Field

Christopher L. Morrow chris at UU.NET
Thu Nov 20 23:27:41 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Anthony Cennami wrote:

> If you want to bill accurately, bill off the Layer 2 ports; that's what
> is always churning the traffic.  I've not looked at the accuracy on a
> scientific level, but I've never found what I believed to be a serious
> discrepency when billing/polling the physical ports.

What about the cases where the customer has more than 1 port on your
switch, you must then aggregate the traffic from N ports, discount the
data between the local hosts and only bill for the actual up/down from the
switch to the core, no?

That seems complex, of course perhaps only 1 port per customer makes some
sense in these cases too, eh?