Increase in traffic to/from DSL subs since August?

Nipper, Arnold arnold at nipper.de
Thu Nov 20 21:22:17 UTC 2003

On Thursday, November 20, 2003 10:00 PM, Jared B. Reimer
<jared at theriver.com>
wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Another independent ISP operator and I have noticed a pretty significant
> increase in traffic to and from our broadband (DSL) subscribers since
> August.  It's been a fairly steady uptick, at least in my case, resulting
> in a doubling of overall average traffic to/from these folks since then.
>
> Have others seen a similar trend?  Any thoughts as to what the cause may
> be?  Our best guess a virus/worm, possibly being used as a spam relay or
> other proxy at this point...

Traffic at LINX and AMS-IX started to grow again in Juli/August as well
after having slowed down for months. At DE-CIX we see also a bis increase in
traffic since August. No idea what this is. IMHO it's to much traffic for
being virus/worm.

Arnold