Santa Fe city government computers knocked out by worm

kenw at kmsi.net kenw at kmsi.net
Mon Nov 17 15:32:27 UTC 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 06:26:50 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>> >No explaination why Sante Fe officials had not patched the city's
>> >computers in the three months since Microsoft announced the vulnerability
>> >and released the software updates.  Nor why Sante Fe didn't have up to
>> >date anti-virus programs running on its computers.
>>
>> Nor why they were using such rubbish software for a mission-
>> critical system.
>>
>Because for people outside our little industry the software is a tool to get
>a JOB done, not the job itself.
>
>Alex

A perceptive comment, but not actionable.

This incident is what happens when non-tool oriented people must use tools.
Our responsibility is to teach; theirs is to learn.

Some people spend too much time sharpening their tools.  Others too little.
Neither is innocent when the job fails to get done.

/kenw