looking for pull traffic

Tom (UnitedLayer) tom at unitedlayer.com
Fri Nov 14 09:26:42 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> The traffic is too short and bursty to be of any benefit, even when you
> can successfully filter it so that no other operations are impacted.

I think that would be the biggest trick in order to even ratios - keep
other services unaffected.
I think most DOS traffic is hard to wrangle.

> I also stand by my opinion that DoS does not happen without a reason.

I happen to agree with that %100.

Most of the times I get DOS on my network its either:
1. IRC
2. The EFF

#2 doesn't happen that often, but when it does, its sortof entertaining to
figure out where/what/why. Most people love the EFF, and are happy to help
sort out problems :)

#1 happens more often, but I generally tend to keep a good lot of
direct customers, and the people targeted are customers of customers.

> Those kinds of targets are generally not only engaged in some activity
> which invites attack (such as running an IRC server), they are actively
> encouraging it by their behavior, and probably should be booted anyways
> for other reasons that you just don't know about yet.

I've seen a few ISP's who run IRC servers reserve IP blocks for them, and
only announce said blocks to peers. Seems like a good way to cut down on
the number of people to contact when you have DOS aimed at it.

> The only benefit to having a hefty outbound ratio is that you have plenty
> of headroom to work with when attacks do come in. Unless you happen to
> notice that a large amount of the traffic is coming from certain Asian
> Pacific networks, and intentionally peer with them to setup choke points.
> :)

Good point.
I'd be curious to see in terms of percentages, which networks source the
most DOS and then keep them on INOC-DBA SpeedDial.
I had in fact suggested to a certain Asian Pacific network that we should
peer so that when someone on their network did launch a DOS against one of
my customers, it would only cause problems there :)

Whats next, DOS-NAP?