Voice Compression

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri Nov 14 02:10:26 UTC 2003

      On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Anton L. Kapela wrote:
    > I would like to also suggest seeking devices that use "iLBC" as a
    > codec. I've been using this codec for interconnecting voip systems and
    > have been very pleased with the results.
    > Check it out: http://www.ilbcfreeware.org

Yep, although I haven't used it yet myself, I've been hearing it very
widely praised, particularly for traffic flowing across high-congestion
Internet links.  Apparently it can sustain 20% packet loss without
significant reduction in voice quality.  However, this was supposed to be
over "T1s" which I assumed to mean point-to-point serial.

                                -Bill