FW: Cost of Worm Attack Protection

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Nov 13 22:35:14 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 sgorman1 at gmu.edu wrote:
> I guess the hypothetical would be if you were in charge of security for
> an AS what would be the cost to put a best-effort worm mitigation system
> in.

What kind of AS?

An AS used by a military organization that has authority over its users
and can through them in the brig for failing to follow commands and
policy?

An AS used by a commercial enterprise that has authority over its users
and can fire them for failing to follow commands and policy?

An AS used by a university enterprise that has authority over its users
and can expell them for failing to follow commands and policy?

An AS used by a service provider that has authority over its users and
can terminate their network access for failing to follow commands and
policy?

An AS used by a public agency that is required by law to permit all
citizens access to information until proven beyond reasonable doubt the
access was misused?