[Re: This may be stupid but.. ]

joshua sahala joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Mon Nov 10 16:36:50 UTC 2003

"Peter Galbavy" <peter.galbavy at knowtion.net> wrote:

> A willingness, nay - a NEED, to learn and be open to new concepts is
> what forward moving technology sectors (like ours I hope) need.

definately - however, i know of some very smart people, with a huge
drive to learn, were relegated to clueless tasks because they didn't have
many many years of experience.  there is a distrubing trend amongst
managers/etc where they think that if you haven't already done the job
for several years, you can't learn to do it, or don't have the skill to
do it.  i am not saying that this is universal (as demonstrated by
several posts here to that effect), but i think that these are exceptions

> Acronyms mean sh*t. When involved in any hiring process, I actively
> avoid CCIE/MSCE/etc. laden resumes. Mentioning once, fine. Using them
> like religious phrases is an indictation of, well, stupidity.

certifications are often necessary to open the door - granted if you
were architecting internetworks when many of today's certified
'engineers' were still in grade school, then no, certifications are
probably not needed.

experience is a catch-22, you need experience to get a job, but you need
a job to get experience.  i am not saying that certifications are a
panacea, but lacking the ability to say that i built $major_isp, my certs
have helped me (a little) in getting past the recruiter/hr to where my
technical skills can be demonstrated

> > i'm recruiter-proof. i'm not sure i'd want anyone who wasn't.
>
> Aye. I have *never* used my CV/Resume in getting a job. I still have
> one, but it's very out of date.

never is a long time

perhaps it is just the fact that i am 'new' to the field, but my resume
has gotten me all but one job, and my resume indirectly got me that one.

my slightly bitter $0.02

/joshua

> Peter

"Walk with me through the Universe,
 And along the way see how all of us are Connected.
 Feast the eyes of your Soul,
 On the Love that abounds.
 In all places at once, seemingly endless,
 Like your own existence."
     - Stephen Hawking -