[Re: Openwave Opinions]

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at outblaze.com
Mon Nov 10 16:14:41 UTC 2003

joshua sahala writes on 11/10/2003 11:03 AM:

> there are some online spam archives that you can download and feed, and
> while it may take you a little time to write a script to push the archives

training on your spam feed is what will work for you.  rather longish
and laborious process though.

> i am no longer associated with them, but usa.net has some good stuff too,
> and while i would, for financial reasons, prefer to roll my own,

Oh yes. Definitely.

> outsourcing can be an effective way to manage your email, but it comes
> down to a cost/benefit analysis.

Doesn't everything, ultimately? :)

>>Or you might elect to get a managed antispam solution that plugs into
>>your mta (kind of like brightmail or spamsquelcher.org)
> brightmail is quite good

I can say that spamsquelcher is really very good - I know some of the
people behind it, and I got to see their stuff at ISPCON.  It has a lot
of potential (treat your inbound spam flow the same way you'd treat an
inbound DDoS, sample inbound SMTP and QoS down suspected traffic)

> i agree - like i said above, you can tailor it to suit your needs.  one
> size does not necessarily fit all

yup.

	srs

--
srs (postmaster|suresh)@outblaze.com // gpg : EDEDEFB9
manager, outblaze.com security and antispam operations