Datacenter Spec's

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Nov 9 00:03:19 UTC 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Fisher, Shawn wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a good resource for datacenter spec's or best
> practices?

There isn't a one-size fits all data center spec.  I try to outline
various considerations for evaluating data center specs on my web
site http://www.donelan.com/design/general.html

There are very few things which justify the cost of a Level V
(Grade AAA) data center design.  A Level I computer room is satisfactory
for many ordinary business purposes.  Heck, most computers used in
business wouldn't meet the Orange Book "C" rating for security, why
put a "C" rated system in an "A" rated data center.  Better concrete
won't improve the software.

Hire a licensed architect and professional engineering firm with
experience designing datacenters. Several vendors have data center white
papers, but usually the white paper consists of recommendations to buy a
particular vendor's equipment.