24-port Gigabit + two 10Gb uplinks

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Nov 6 23:21:40 UTC 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Eric Kuhnke wrote:

> It looks like 24*1Gb + 2*10Gb switches will be showing up soon:

Yes, Q1-Q2 2004 you'll see this from quite a lot of vendors I predict.

If you don't need a lot of features (L2 and L3 switching only) I bet
you'll see them for less than $10k during 2004, hopefully including
optics in that price. That's the price point where 10GE really starts to
take off.

Considering the advances in highspeed DSL in the last/first mile, if we
want to take advantage of that we need 10GE in the distribution layer and
we need 40GE or 100GE in the core, and this is not so far off.

I am actually worried about the price point of highspeed datacom in the
next few years, after the inflated marget in 2001 where everybody built,
prices have dropped at the customer level but a lot of the gear is still
the same price. OC192 cards for the GSR is still the same price as in
2001, but you might get more features. Has the OC48 card dropped in price
at all?

Is the core really keeping up? We have cheap highspeed metro but can we do
the same in the long haul?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se