Copper 10 gigabit @ 15 metres

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Wed Nov 5 05:44:59 UTC 2003

> http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=42956&site=lightreading
>
> http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10GBCX4/
>
> Regarding the first URL, I am curious how many networks will be
> interested
> in using a 15 metre 10GbE solution.  Even for intra-MMR xconns, it seems
> like the cable length limit will very quickly become an obstacle.
>  I guess
> it depends what price point copper 10Gb solutions enter the market at,
> compared to their optical counterparts.

Until the distances become reasonable, it will probably be a connection of
opportunity. Instead of nxGE you can use 1x10GE for an MMR x-connect. The
question is will people be converting 10GE copper to fiber to bridge the
distances and then back?
There are no highly dense 10GE platforms that I can think of right now, much
less cost effective ones.

DJ