Hijacked IP space.

Hank Nussbacher hank at att.net.il
Tue Nov 4 05:25:12 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Ron da Silva wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:10:27AM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Ray Wong wrote:
> >
> > > I'm starting to figure that, given the delays, there's been enough damage
> > > done that 204.89.224/24 will never be able to get off the blocking lists
> > > anyway, so perhaps I'll turn it back in afterall. *sigh*That's what
> > > I get for trying to find low-cost ISPs willing to announce portable
> > > space.
> >
> > So a RIR giving out that /24 would in fact be selling "damaged goods" and
> > the customer who got it would be able to sue.I think RIRs have to make a
> > larger effort to protect their assets.
>
> But the RIRs are not selling any goods; are they not simply selling a
> directory service?

They view themselves as "leasing" out IP address space.  Although they
never reclaim IP address space that has long since never been announced.
But even if it is leasing - if I lease an apartment that has termites and
can prove that the owner of the building knew about the termites - then I
would probably have a good case to sue.   -Hank

> -ron

Hank Nussbacher