Sabotage investigation of fiber cuts in Northwest

JC Dill nanog at vo.cnchost.com
Tue Nov 4 03:54:24 UTC 2003

At 07:32 PM 11/3/2003, John Fraizer wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
> > Maybe I'm missing something, but, if you have the bolt cutters, I don't
> > see why you need the key to an adjacent lock or any of the locks.
>
>Um, cutting a lock out gets it out of the mix but, you still have to have
>the key to one of the other locks to complete the chain again.  Think
>about it.

A cut lock can be replaced with a similar replacement lock and usually no
one will be the wiser.  Look at the locks here:

<http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/telweb/microwave/kiv70/padlocks.jpg>

The lock marked ATC is between 2 other locks (that's a hasp to its left,
with rusty chain further to the left).  It could be cut and replaced with a
similar lock linking the other two locks, without opening either of the
other two locks.  On gates with many locks (I've seen chains of 6 or more),
there is rarely any interest given to the locks that are not one's own
responsibility.

jc

p.s.  please do not cc me on replies - post to me only or to the list only,
as you prefer