Sabotage investigation of fiber cuts in Northwest

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Nov 3 20:30:21 UTC 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 07:27:49 -0800 (PST) David Raistrick <drais at wow.atlasta.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Owen DeLong wrote:

> > Maybe I'm missing something, but, if you have the bolt cutters, I don't
> > see why you need the key to an adjacent lock or any of the locks.

> If you want to put the chain back together, you'll need to open one of the
> locks, or add another lock in it's place.

> This assumes a legit need to remove someones lock.  If you just want to
> get in, boltcutters will usually do it.

it's a terrible security mechanism regardless.

suppose i want reliable unauthorized access. i determine the make and style
of lock in common use, buy a bunch, buy a bolt cutter. go cut out links at
each facility i wish to compromise and install my own locks right along side
the "legit" ones.

how long do you think it'll take anyone to notice the extra locks?

cheers,
  richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net