OT: RE: IPv6 NAT

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Nov 1 20:57:56 UTC 2003

> for a STUN server, which I still can't find a copy of. Fortunately it's
> unnecessary. It works, as long as I don't try to contact another phone
> behind another NAT.

That is the very essence of why I think NAT in the long run is a bad idea...
What good is a phone that can't contact another phone.  One of the main
advantages to VOIP is that you can achieve some level of provider
independence
and still have phone service.  Sure, you need some level of ISP, but, you
can
have more than one of those and SIP still works when one is down.  If you
are dependent on a particular company running a proxy, then, if they hose
their stuff, you're out of luck.

Owen

--
If it wasn't signed, it probably didn't come from me.