IPv6 NAT

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Nov 1 17:43:42 UTC 2003

That probably means they are not using SIP, but, instead are using
either H.323 or some other proprietary ugliness.  That's unfortunate.

SIP has to include the IP address of the RTP destination in it's payload.
As such, you can't use SIP cleanly across NAT unless the NAT box knows
to proxy the SIP and edit the payload (very messy).

In any case, Vonage aside, lots of things that the average user will
eventually consider useful are broken by NAT and NAT is an unnecessary
ugliness in most places where it is used.

It should _NOT_ be encouraged.

Owen

--On Saturday, November 1, 2003 11:33 AM -0600 Shawn Morris

--
If it wasn't signed, it probably didn't come from me.