IANA reserved Address Space

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Fri May 30 21:53:10 UTC 2003

On Fri, 30 May 2003 Brennan_Murphy at NAI.com wrote:

> 1.0.0.0 /8
> 10.0.0.0 /8
> 100.0.0.0 /8
>
> I need 3 distinct zones which is why I wanted to separate
> them out. In any case, I was wondering about the
> status of the 1 /8 and the 100 /8 networks. What does
> it mean that they are IANA reserved? Reserved for what?
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

It means (like what has happened recently with 69/8 and others) that
they're not in use YET.  Eventually, they will go from Reserved to RIR
assigned and you will have reachability issues if your lab is ever
connected to the internet.

> Anyone else ever use IANA reserved address spacing for
> lab networks? Is there anything special I need to know?

There's an awful lot of RFC 1918 space.  How about using some of it?

http://69box.atlantic.net/

 Atlantic Net                |