Off topic - New "Nanog" gene

Andrea Abrahamsen slinky at rogers.com
Fri May 30 17:25:59 UTC 2003

At 12:28 AM 5/30/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>"In recognition of that power, the researchers have named the gene
>"nanog," a reference to the mythological Celtic land of Tir Nan Og,
>whose fairy-like residents are said to stay forever young."
>
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55817-2003May29.html
>
>--
>Joseph T. Klein
><This space available. Ask for my resume.>
>PSTN: +1 415 462 1534 Mobile: +1 414 628 3380

"..is largely responsible for giving those cells their unique regenerative
and therapeutic potential."

[Pull hair out, pull out the nearest bundle of Ethernet cable, see a
therapist.. or read NANOG.  Results guaranteed !]

"In doing so, the proteins precisely turn "on" and "off" other genes in
that stretch of DNA..."

[Ooo !]

"..scientists have yet to identify the signal that tells nanog to turn on..."

[IP addressing discussions always raise my temperature a few degrees :)]

"In the current experiments, nanog activity was turned up or blocked with
genetic techniques that so altered the cells as to make them unacceptable
for use in humans..."

[Only those lacking the special NANOG cluebat]

"...once people have done a little of it, they want to do more."

[Aw yeah !]

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussions. :)

---

Andrea Abrahamsen
Software Engineer, Intelligent Network Services
Cisco Systems