IANA reserved Address Space

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Fri May 30 14:37:00 UTC 2003

> This lab *could* be filled with millions of hosts (real/simulated)
> and thousands of networks (real/simulated). This lab is

	yup. built several of those over the years. last simulated
	network had 100,000 networks, ASNs et.al.

	(built it all inside a single host!)

> 1) create manageable and quickly adaptable firewall rulesets
> 2) create an IP plan that will lend itself to quick human parsing
>    both in routing tables and router/firewall logs
> 3) consider that the lab will likely have machines that require
>    patching/updates, etc from the real internet.

	if this is supposed to represent realworld,
	then use realworld numbers.  design your lab so that
	patches/updates go to staging platforms and then
	pull into your lab from those - no direct network
	connections.

> Imagine you want to create an environment for experiments.
> You want to reduce complexity as much as possible and create
> a scenario where feedback of a test is quick...doesnt require
> much memorization of what is what and that allows you to suddenly
> stop and rerun tests. Rapidly. Think of access lists,route tables,
>  firewall rulesets and logs.  If you're running tests do you want too
> see results such as 192.168.22.0, 172.16.89.22, 10.129.20.222,
> 10.12.22.2?  Wouldnt it be easier if your test results looked
> like this:  1.10.1.1, 10.10.1.1, 100.10.1.1, 1.1.1.1, 10.1.1.1,
> 100.1.1.1, etc?

	perhaps I am unique, but I suffer from dyslexia.
	1.1.10.0.1.1.0.0.0.0.1.1.1.11.0  looks way too much
	like binary to me.  Much easier for machine parsing.
	Humans that I have worked with tend to discriminate
	easier on differing patterns.