UPS failure modes (was: fire at NAC)

Arman arman at unitedlayer.com
Thu May 29 21:33:28 UTC 2003

We are opening a new facility in SF and are seriously considering the idea
of by passing a large UPS (150-225KVA)altogether and relay on a generator
400-450KW with small UPSes on each rack.  A UPS failure would be limited to
a single rack, this way we could

My personal experience with ATSes is limited and would appreciate any
feedback.

Our new facility is dual feed from two different power grids and we could
provide two independant power feeds to each rack one backed via a generator
and the other std house power.  Customer are welcome to bring their own
UPS.  (we know it takes away rack space).

FYI;  Our experience has shown that all UPSes (we have used APC, Best,
Liebert and Minute Man) have all failed within a 5 year period.  We have
over 30 APC UPSes and a ~20% failure rate.

thanks
arman