LH/ELH Recommendations?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu May 29 20:25:13 UTC 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Deepak Jain wrote:

> I am trying to signal over a dark fiber (SMF) loop of about 200 miles.
> (150mi on one leg and 50mi on the other). I would _like_ to find a 10GE
> solution (say a XENPAK module that will do 150miles), but GE would do if it
> supports some kind of xWDM.

As soon as you want to go more than 60mi/100km in one
unrepeated/unregenerated hop, things start to cost large amounts of money.
Are you sure you cannot put some kind of repeater 75mi into the 150mi
leg? Then you could do it costeffectively with a GigE/OC48 solution which
would probably also support CWDM.

A 1550nm GigE repeater with 24dB dampening budget will only set you back
$5-6k or so, with a OC48/STM16 equivalent costing not much more.

I have successfully done 150km in one hop with the Finisar 31dB FTR1619
GBIC (specced at approx 31-33dB link budget), but that was only for test
purposes, didn't have enough margin for production environment I would
say.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se