OT: Anybody know what LARP is?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu May 29 02:35:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Karyn Ulriksen wrote:
> I know that this is off topic and that there is probably a forum somewhere
> more appropriate, so I'll appreciate any direction as to where would be
> better...

Try to make it on topic.  Locus was bought by Computer Associates, which
has apparently "hijacked" their networks instead of returning them to ARIN :-)

> whois -h whois.arin.net 130.200.0.0

OrgName:    Computer Associates International
OrgID:      CAI-7
Address:    1 CA Plaza
City:       Islandia
StateProv:  NY
PostalCode: 11788
Country:    US

> But I couldn't think of a group that would more likely know what Locus
> Address Resolution Protocol (LARP) is.  I've been Googling variations and
> cross references for LARP for the past hour and am starting to think it's a
> trick question :).  All I can find is all the thousands of RFCs on the AINA
> numbering for it, but not what the protocol does.  If anyone can throw me a
> bone, I'd really appreciate it.

I believe it was part of Locus' distributed file system protocol.  Try
searching for papers by Geral Popek.

http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/ficus-members/popek/