Iraqis work to restore Internet service

Eric Kuhnke eric at fnordsystems.com
Tue May 27 10:59:00 UTC 2003

Ironic item of the day:

In many countries which will not admit visitors with an Israeli stamp in their passport (Egypt, Syria, etc), the most popular method of internet cafe uplink is VSAT.  One of the largest mideast VSAT carriers is Gilat - http://www.gilat.com , an Israeli company.  Do the Syrians know their bits are flowing through routers in Tel Aviv?  I would hope they don't care, or have good crypto, but the potential for snooping of traffic does exist.