Transparent SNMP cache?

Marc Binderberger marc at sniff.de
Wed May 21 09:27:20 UTC 2003

Hello,

looking at the growing number of SNMP polling systems and the "gap"
between network- and server-engineering we start worrying about the
load SNMP may cause on our Cisco CPUs. A few routers/switches died in
the past because of SMARTS or HP-OV running wild.
Instead of having many systems polling the same data I would like to
see a SNMP cache which works similar to transparent proxies - picks up
the request on the fly and answers on behalf of the router unless the
cached data is aged out (e.g. 3-5 minutes).

Does something similar exists? Feedback from our server folks is
"doesn't exist, never seen this" but I can't believe we are the only
one having this idea and looking for a solution.

Or is my idea totally flawed? ;-)

Thanks & Regards,
Marc
--