An area for operations growth - Storage Area Nets in MANS

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Mon May 19 10:33:01 UTC 2003

Although I agree that storage networking as a backup/tandem resiliency
operation makes a lot of sense,
it does not come anywhere nearly "free" because the assumptions made
there require flawless software.
If you always synchronize your systems you'll also blow them both out
when you hit a software issue
and as most of the audience is painfully aware, they are not infrequent
enough to count out of the equation.

So you need to keep track how to re-synchornize  after an
upgrade/failure/etc.  With a large stream of
updated data on the system keeping the state difference becomes
expensive quickly. (unless you are going
to re-sync everything after a failure, and then you'll be vulnerable
until that's completed)

Pointers to perfect SAN solutions appreciated.

Pete