Clocking Sources (was NTp sources that work in a datacenter (was Re: Is latency equivalentto RTT?))

N. Richard Solis nrsolis at aol.net
Fri May 16 19:55:51 UTC 2003

You are correct with one notable exception.  The presence of a cesium clock is considered a de facto timing source.  I've never seen a BITS system that actively disciplines a Cesium Source.  What they will do is take many Cesium (or Primary Reference Sources, PRS) and verify them against each other.  The output from that mathematical function is then used to discipline a Rubidium or Ovenized Crystal Oscillator.  The output from THAT is then used to drive BITS feeds to telecom equipment.

The desire for everyone to have a timing source that is tracable to a Cesium clock comes from the SONET standard.  If you tie two SONET networks together, if they both don't have timing that's tracable to a Stratum 1 (PRS) source, they'll drift at the points where they interconnect and PSE (Positive Stuff Event) and NSE (Negative Stuff Event) errors will be the result.  This is BAD BAD BAD for the voice networks that are provisioned over SONET.