LFT - Layer Four Traceroute?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu May 15 18:21:09 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:01:05PM -0400, Russ Haynal wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have read about the LFT Tool at the following web page:
>    http://www.mainnerve.com/lft/
> It looks like this traceroute might succeed where traditional UDP
> Traceroutes fail.

You mean kinda like the dozens of other tools that have included TCP or
ICMP based traceroute over the past many years?

"Woo".

> Does anybody know of any publicly accessible traceroute servers which are
> running LFT in the background?

Why? It's probably only useful for getting around trivial firewalls if you
can tune the port that you're trying to get through on. With the number of
abuse complaints generated by "you're sending me data on port 80", I'm not
sure any sane person would want to leave a tool which sends TCP open to
the public anyways.