identity theft != spam

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at nic-naa.net
Thu May 15 17:44:26 UTC 2003

> unfortunately, until proper legislation is passed, they are to some degree
> hamstrung by said mandate from congress.

The wait condition (FTC jurisdiction) is possibly eqivalent to the switch
from an opt-out regime to an opt-in regime, which three years ago I though
was likely in the first Gore/Lieberman term. At the time I worked for an ad
network, so I paid more attention to technical and policy nuances in all of
the three basic jurisdictions than I do now.

My crystal ball had an off-by-at-least-one error.

The serious bit of this is, expect _no_change_ at the Federal level until
conditions change.

Eric