NTp sources that work in a datacenter (was Re: Is latency equivalent to RTT?)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed May 14 17:15:47 UTC 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> Ask/pay/rent for roof access for the antenna, it's not large but it does
> work better with an unobstructed video of the sky. There's also the
> question of how many stratum=1 time sources a given datacenter needs. if
> there's someone else with one it should be fairly unintrusive to share.

When I still worked at Equinix, we had NTP chimers in all the datacenters
which customers could either hardwire (IRIG-B, etc) or peer with NTP.

However, it seemed that people who cared about time always wanted to
have their own NTP chimers which they owned and controlled. The
concern about relying on third-parties, and even the theorotical
NTP attacks.