DMCA Violation?

listuser at numbnuts.net listuser at numbnuts.net
Fri May 9 16:19:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Roy wrote:

> This is the best information I have seen and its exactly what we do.
>
> Even if the note doesn't exactly match the DMCA requirements, I think
> there is all ready a ruling in a lower court that says some were close
> enough
>
> Also, if you simply blow off the notice, you can become liable since you
> didn't follow the intent of the DMCA to remove copyrighted material.

IIRC, they have to provide you with a written (and hence legal) copy of
the notice if you request it.  It's my understanding that many places are
doing this to all "notices" they get.  Since they never get a written
reply in return it's assumed that the email was fraudulent and they ignore
it.  It works for them.  If I can find that discussion, I'll provide the
link.

Justin