DMCA Violation?

listuser at numbnuts.net listuser at numbnuts.net
Thu May 8 15:05:15 UTC 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Christopher J. Wolff wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone seen a copy of the following email?  Furthermore, has it been
> determined which ISP services create a legal or equitable liability for
> the ISP?  God help us if providing transport to an FTP site counts as
> one of the offending services.  I guess it's time to turn on NBAR at the
> edge routers.
>
> This is clearly Big Brother at it's finest and a prime example of John
> Stuart Mill's "Tyranny of the Majority."  I apply Mill's logic here
> because I doubt that the anti-DMCA crowd is packing the halls of
> Congress with the rabid fervor that the pro-DMCA crowd has.  I hope that
> this is not the case!

The last time I saw one of their "notices" they didn't meet the
requirements set forth under the DMCA for notice of infringement, making
the notices a waste of electrons.

http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/question.cgi?print=yes

Have your lawyer look at it for you and given you his professional opinion
because IANAL.

Yes, the DMCA is a beast.  What's even more damaging is the "Super DMCA"
that the **AA is trying to get pushed through the state governments.  They
have the ability to outlaw things like NAT and VPN if you interpret them
in their literal sense.  That's what's scary.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/04/28/BU269543.DTL

It always amazes me how legislation can be bought.  One of these days
we're going to have to start electing officials that have a little
backbone and some semblance of integrity.

Justin