We have a firewall (was Re: Pakistan government orders ISPservice level agreement)

Tim Wilde twilde at dyndns.org
Wed May 7 05:13:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, John Payne wrote:

> I don't know why people keep saying that.  I've spoken to UUnet many times
> on security issues, sometimes as a customer, sometimes not, and every time
> I've gotten exactly the response I wanted and support above and beyond what
> I needed.
>
> Hell, I even got a lot of support when it was "my friend over here claims
> to be under attack".
>
> Am I lucky, or are others just repeating what they want to hear?

I've had the exact opposite experience when calling UUnet.  I was told in
no uncertain terms that they WOULD NOT let me speak with ANYONE if I was
not a customer, despite 10s of megabits of DDoS coming through their
network to mine.  Maybe you called the right people, but UUnet's main NOC
line certainly had no interest in helping us.  And when our upstream who
is a UUnet customer called them, they refused to even perform a backtrace
without a subpoena in hand for the results of that backtrace.

Tim

--
Tim Wilde
twilde at dyndns.org