NNTP servers

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed May 7 01:21:08 UTC 2003

            Howdy, if this is off-topic I certainly apologize however I
believe that running an NNTP server is usually part of a 'network
operations' sphere of influence. I have a few basic questions. Does anyone
know off hand how much disk is needed for a fairly respectable NNTP server
for a full feed? Also is IDE still too slow/unreliable for this type of
operation? I know back when we got our current server IDE was very slow it
has sped up a bit since then. The reason I am asking is because it has come
time for the old NNTP server to be buried somewhere in the mountains and for
me to procure a new one.  Currently we are running a P3 600 /w about 200 GB
of storage on Solaris and Typhoon, the reason we are replacing this server
is for the poor performance and its abhorrent retention.

            Any advice would be pivotal to my purchasing decisions.

Thanks,

-Drew Weaver