Pakistan government orders ISP service level agreement

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon May 5 18:58:57 UTC 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> I suppose contacting upstreams for traceback and filtration isn't
> something they want to do??

I may not be on the correct lists to hear about the local Pakistan ISP
scene, but I didn't find much technical information about what was
happening.

The attacks APPEAR to be originating from India and a virus called YAHA
which targets certain Pakistan government web sites, .PK top-level domain
name servers and the primary Internet exchange in Pakistan.  Most of the
Pakistan Internet traffic is funneled through a single exchange point and
official provider PTCL.  Good for intelligence agencies, bad for
reliability and DDOS survivability.

YAHA variants have been circulating since last June.  The infected
computers are inside and outside of Pakistan, and continuing to increase

So you need to solve
   1. Viruses
   2. Spam
   3. DDOS

I suppose you could renumber/rename Pakaistan.  But when the next
variant of Yaha was released, it would probably just include the
updated information.

One of the government ministers suggested moving some of the official
sites to the colocation in the US.  It might help in the short term, since
the US has excess bandwidth and can absorb the attacks longer.