The in-your-face hijacking example, was: Re: Who is announcing bogons?

Richard Cox Richard at mandarin.com
Sun May 4 04:20:43 UTC 2003

On Sat, 3 May 2003 20:00:53 -0400 (EDT), <bdragon at gweep.net> wrote:

| I had heard that Atrivo had squatted some space from Ready Systems
| (138.121.0.0/16) that was an abandoned wasteland. I had also heard
| that this was brought to the attention of everyone who was
| squatting that space.
|
| Now, my information may be wrong, however I consider the source to
| be quite reliable.

I don't think you are at all wrong; at this time Atrivo (AS) are still
announcing blocks in three Class B's that are assigned to other people:

	138.121.0.0/16	listed as	Ready Systems
	146.100.0.0/16	listed as	Zust-Ambrosetti (in Italy)
	170.208.0.0/16	listed as	Los Angeles County ISD

Here are the full current routing tables for those blocks ...

	138.121.16.0/21		10912		Internap
	138.121.52.0/24		16631		Cogent
	138.121.53.0/24		16631		Cogent
	138.121.56.0/22		16631		Cogent	***
	138.121.128.0/19	26346 27595	Atrivo
	138.121.224.0/20	6939		Hurricane Electric

	170.208.0.0/24		16631		Cogent
	170.208.0.0/20		4474 27595	Atrivo
	170.208.6.0/24		16631		Cogent
	170.208.7.0/24		16631		Cogent
	170.208.8.0/24		16631		Cogent

	146.100.32.0/19		4474		NLayer
	146.100.48.0/20		4474 27595	Atrivo
	146.100.64.0/19		4474		NLayer

I have successfully pinged one IP in each of the blocks in that list,
so I am fully satisfied that all the blocks are live and being routed.

I personally telephoned Cogent's NOC two days ago to ensure they were
aware of the situation; I also attempted to reach Michael J. Hammons
(Sr. Director of Operations at Cogent) when no action was taken, but
was unable to reach him and my call was not subsequently returned.

I hope to have some helpful news of a short term remedy fairly soon.

--
Richard Cox