NTp sources that work in a datacenter (was Re: Is latency equivalent to RTT?)

just me matt at snark.net
Wed May 14 20:48:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Sean Donelan wrote:

  When I still worked at Equinix, we had NTP chimers in all the datacenters
  which customers could either hardwire (IRIG-B, etc) or peer with NTP.

Slick!

  However, it seemed that people who cared about time always wanted to
  have their own NTP chimers which they owned and controlled. The
  concern about relying on third-parties, and even the theorotical
  NTP attacks.

A well-chosen set of sources obviates the need for this as well. NTP
is pretty good at spotting and ignoring martian sources.

matt ghali

   Flowers on the razor wire/I know you're here/We are few/And far
   between/I was thinking about her skin/Love is a many splintered
   thing/Don't be afraid now/Just walk on in. #include <disclaim.h>