State Super-DMCA Too True

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Mar 31 22:32:18 UTC 2003

Thus spake "todd glassey" <todd.glassey at worldnet.att.net>
> Yes but this is specific to the argument on whether an ISP
> should be accountable for what people do with its bandwidth
> and what I think is ultimately going to happen is that these
> laws are going to be put in place and as part of enforcing
> these there will be some arrests.

If you ship pot via FedEx, does the delivery guy go to jail too?  No.
If you make obscene phone calls, does the operator go to jail too?  No.

Common carrier status exists for this very reason.  Unfortunately, it
probably means we'll have to stop filtering things like spam and DoS, since
filtering on content inherently violates common carrier protection -- see
the smut suit against AOL a few years ago.