State Super-DMCA Too True

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sun Mar 30 21:48:20 UTC 2003

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 13:13:24 -0800 (PST) Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Jack Bates wrote:
> > enough to scare people into not breaking them. However, history has
> > shown that we instead make it a criminal offense and use that as the
> > way to scare people into doing what is right to begin with.

> Since when should breaking an ISP's TOS incur a heavier prison term than
> a guy who beats his wife?

i've been holding my tongue, but i'm quite frankly concerned that numerous
corporate interests (MPAA, RIAA, etc.) are trying hard to get certain
things criminalized that are dealt with perfectly well already in civil
contract law.

an ISP can permit or ban NAT as they see fit, per their TOS. no need for
this to be criminal.

richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net