State Super-DMCA Too True

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Sun Mar 30 18:39:04 UTC 2003

* alambert at quickfire.org (Alex Lambert) [Sun 30 Mar 2003, 20:19 CEST]:
> http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/StealingBandwidth?action=highlight&va
> lue=CategoryPhilosophy
>
> (quoting)
>  "Traditional broadband providers cry foul when users take their cable modem
> or DSL connections and beam them to friends, family and passsers-by through
> Wi-Fi networks. "It constitutes a theft of service per our user agreement,"
> says AT&T Broadband's Sarah Eder. But at least one very important observer
> doesn't buy that. "I don't think it's stealing by any definition of law at
> the moment," says FCC chairman Michael Powell. "The truth is, it's an
> unintended use."

Right.  How would you feel when your butcher started selling meat only
for personal use, and if you wanted to feed your family with it you
would have to buy the family meat package (which comes presliced for up
to three kids)?

And now you'd go to jail if you didn't cook it in separate frying pans.

	-- Niels (stretching analogies for fun and profit)