State Super-DMCA Too True

Alex Lambert alambert at quickfire.org
Sun Mar 30 18:19:01 UTC 2003

> If you price your product on the assumption that the average customer only
> uses 5% of their bandwidth then it doesn't take many customers using 50%
> or 100% of it to really spoil your economics

Personal Telco has some interesting opinions on this:

http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/StealingBandwidth?action=highlight&va
lue=CategoryPhilosophy

(quoting)
 "Traditional broadband providers cry foul when users take their cable modem
or DSL connections and beam them to friends, family and passsers-by through
Wi-Fi networks. "It constitutes a theft of service per our user agreement,"
says AT&T Broadband's Sarah Eder. But at least one very important observer
doesn't buy that. "I don't think it's stealing by any definition of law at
the moment," says FCC chairman Michael Powell. "The truth is, it's an
unintended use."

apl